The wonderful South Downs surround our cafe and provide a constant reminder of the importance of our ecology and our environment. We are not perfect but we consider everything we do and try and make the right choices. More than this, we strive to improve every day.
- Renovating the building - we have taken every care when renovating the building. We used sustainably sourced timber, meaning that any felled has been replanted, which in turn means our cafe has locked up CO2 within the wood we used for the counter, the toilet walls and other areas across the building.
- We are fueled by biogas and green electricity.
- All our tables and chairs are wood, and second hand, reducing the emissions produced during production processes and also keeping the CO2 locked up in the furniture rather than sending it to landfill where it will rot and be released CO2 back into the atmosphere.
- Our food is produced locally wherever possible reducing food miles and supporting our local economy.
- Our coffee comes from a Winchester Coffee Roasters company who physically visit the growers and check on the welfare of staff and the land. We never use Catpoo coffee and never will for the protection of wildlife abroad.
- Marshfields ice cream is produced on an organic, family run, working dairy farm, where solar panels are used to provide the energy. It is gluten free with ranges suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- Our staff all live locally, some within a couple of hundred yards. This means they use less CO2 traveling to work - in fact most cycle.